|extremely||形容詞||The water was extremely cold.|
|quite||形容詞||The movie is quite interesting.|
|just||動詞||He was just leaving.|
|almost||動詞||She has almost finished.|
|very||副詞||She is running very fast.|
|too||副詞||You are walking too slowly.|
|enough||副詞||You are running fast enough.|
有「某程度必要性」之意的副詞 enough， 會放在其修飾的形容詞或副詞後，而不是像其他副詞一樣放在前面。enough 可以用在肯定句和否定句。
- Is your coffee hot enough?
- This box isn't big enough.
- He didn't work hard enough.
- I got here early enough.
enough 後面通常會接 to + 不定詞。
- He didn't work hard enough to pass the exam.
- Is your coffee hot enough to drink?
- She's not old enough to get married.
- I got here early enough to sign up.
enough 後面也可以接 for + 某人或 for + 某物。
- The dress was big enough for me.
- She's not experienced enough for this job.
- Is the coffee hot enough for you?
- He didn't work hard enough for a promotion.
有「足夠」之意的限定詞 enough 會放在其修飾的名詞前面；與可數名詞複數或不可數名詞連用。
- We have enough bread.
- You have enough children.
- They don't have enough food.
- I don't have enough apples.
有「也」之意的副詞 too 會放在其修飾的片語後。
- I would like to go swimming too, if you will let me come.
- Can I go to the zoo too?
- Is this gift for me too?
- I'm not going to clean your room too!
有「過於」之意的副詞 too，會放在其修飾的形容詞或副詞前。too 可以用在肯定句和否定句。
- This coffee is too hot.
- He works too hard.
- Isn't she too young?
- I am not too short!
too 後面經常接 to + 不定詞。
- The coffee was too hot to drink.
- You're too young to have grandchildren!
- I am not too tired to go out tonight.
- Don't you work too hard to have any free time?
too 後面也可以接 for + 某人或 for + 某物。
- The coffee was too hot for me.
- The dress was too small for her.
- He's not too old for this job.
- Sally's not too slow for our team.
- The girl was very beautiful.
- The house is very expensive.
- He worked very quickly.
- She runs very fast.
如果想表達形容詞或副詞的相反意思，有幾種方式：可以在動詞加上 not，若要委婉、更有禮貌的說法則是用 not very，或者乾脆用反義的形容詞或副詞來表達。這幾種說法都可以表達否定或反義，但意思上不盡相同。
|原始說法||以 not 表達相反的意思||以 not very 表達相反的意思||以反義字表達相反的意思|
|The girl was beautiful.||The girl was not beautiful.||The girl was not very beautiful.||The girl was ugly.|
|He worked quickly.||He did not work quickly.||He did not work very quickly.||He worked slowly.|
very 和 too 在意思上的不同
too 和 very 之間的意思有很大的不同；very 表達的是事實，也是個人可接受的範圍；而 too 則是透露某件事有問題，超出個人可接受的範圍。
- He speaks very quickly.
- He speaks too quickly for me to understand.
- It is very hot outside.
- It is too hot outside to go for a walk.
類似 very 的其他副詞
有些常見的副詞跟 very 的用法類似，用來加強形容詞和副詞的程度。
|extremely, terribly, amazingly, wonderfully, insanely||especially, particularly, uncommonly, unusually, remarkably, quite||pretty, rather, fairly, not especially, not particularly|
|The movie was amazingly interesting.||The movie was particularly interesting.||The movie was fairly interesting.|
|She sang wonderfully well.||She sang unusually well.||She sang pretty well.|
|The lecture was terribly boring.||The lecture was quite boring.||The lecture was rather boring.|
|Never||I have never seen such courage.||Never have I seen such courage.|
|Rarely||She rarely left the house.||Rarely did she leave the house.|
|Not only||She did not only the cooking but the cleaning as well.||Not only did she do the cooking, but the cleaning as well.|
|Scarcely||I scarcely closed the door before he started talking.||Scarcely did I close the door before he started talking.|
|Seldom||We seldom cross the river after sunset.||Seldom do we cross the river sunset.|