- On Monday, an unarmed man stole $1,000 from the bank. The thief hasn't been caught yet.
- I was walking past Benny's Bakery when I decided to go into the bakery to get some bread.
- There's a position available in my team. The job will involve some international travel.
- We went on a walk in the forest yesterday.
- Where is the bathroom?
- Turn left and go to number 45. Our house is across from the Italian restaurant.
- My father enjoyed the book you gave him.
- The man who wrote this book is famous.
- I scratched the red car parked outside.
- I live in the small house with a blue door.
- He is the doctor I came to see.
用 the 來指獨一無二的人或物。
- The sun rose at 6:17 this morning.
- You can go anywhere in the world.
- Clouds drifted across the sky.
- The president will be speaking on TV tonight.
- The CEO of Total is coming to our meeting.
- This is the highest building in New York.
- She read the last chapter of her new book first.
- You are the tallest person in our class.
- This is the third time I have called you today.
在形容詞前用 the 來指整個群體。
- The French enjoy cheese.
- The elderly require special attention.
- She has given a lot of money to the poor.
在年代前用 the 。
- He was born in the seventies.
- This is a painting from the 1820's.
若子句是由 only 引導，則在前面加 the。
- This is the only day we've had sunshine all week.
- You are the only person he will listen to.
- The only tea I like is black tea.
在區域、河流、山區、群島、峽谷和海洋等地理名詞前用 the 。
- They are travelling in the Arctic.
- Our ship crossed the Atlantic in 7 days.
- I will go on a cruise down the Nile.
- Hiking across the Rocky Mountains would be difficult.
在有複數形的國名前用 the 。
- I have never been to the Netherlands.
- Do you know anyone who lives in the Philippines?
在含有 republic、kingdom、states 的國名前用 the。
- She is visiting the United States.
- James is from the Republic of Ireland.
- I read it in the Guardian.
- She works for the New York Times.
在知名建築物、藝術作品、博物館、紀念碑前用 the 。
- Have you been to the Vietnam Memorial?
- We went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa.
- I would like to visit the Eiffel Tower.
- I saw King Lear at the Globe.
- They are staying at the Hilton on 6th street.
- We ate at the Golden Lion.
- We're having dinner with the Smiths tonight.
- The Browns are going to the play with us.
- Germany is an important economic power.
- He's just returned from Zimbabwe.
語言名稱前不用 the 。
- French is spoken in Tahiti.
- English uses many words of Latin origin.
- Indonesian is a relatively new language.
三餐名稱前面不用加 the 。
- Lunch is my favorite meal.
- I like to eat breakfast early.
- John is coming over later.
- Mary Carpenter is my boss.
- Prince Charles is Queen Elizabeth's son.
- President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas.
在有 's 的所有格後面不用加 the。
- His brother's car was stolen.
- Peter's house is over there.
- Engineering is a well-paid career.
- He'll probably study medicine.
- I'll get the card at Smith's.
- Can you go to Boots for me?
- 1948 was a wonderful year.
- He was born in 1995.
- Rice is an important food in Asia.
- Milk is often added to tea in England.
- War is destructive.
- Mount McKinley is the highest mountain in Alaska.
- She lives near Lake Windermere.
- Have you visited Long Island?
- Victoria Station is in the centre of London.
- Can you direct me to Bond Street?
- She lives in Florence.
- They're flying into Heathrow.