指示詞表達某物與說話者之間的關係，可以表達實際上或心理上的遠或近。當談到某些事物時，近指地點指示詞（如 here）常用來指目前的事物，而遠指地點指示詞（如 there）常用來指過去的事物。
|Is this John's house?||Is that John's house over there?|
|This is a nice surprise!||That must have been a nice surprise for you.|
|These apples are mine.||Those apples are yours.|
|What are you up to these days?||Those days are long gone.|
|This time I won't be late.||We really surprised you that time.|
|This sugar is for my crepes.||You can use that sugar for your cake.|
- This blue car needs to be washed next.
- Those people were here first.
- That metal rod should work.
- These oranges are delicious.
- I'd like to try on that one.
- This one is broken.
- I'll take these three.
- Those two are not as pretty as these two.
- I'll never forget this.
- That has nothing to do with me.
- I didn't ask for these.
- Those aren't mine.