當我們用有 going 的詞組來談論未來時，這樣的形式是由三個要素組成：
Be 動詞依主詞做詞形變化 + going + 主要動詞的不定詞
|主詞||+ to be（依主詞做詞形變化）||+ going||+ 不定詞|
|He||is not||going||to jog.|
用 going 來論及未來的事，表示這件事與現在有很緊密的聯繫。表達的事情是根據現在已知的事，確切時間並不重要，只透露是未來會發生的事。going 主要用來論及計畫和意圖，或根據現在的跡象來做預測。在日常談話上，特別是美式英語，going 常被縮減為「gonna」，但絕對不能用在正式書寫上。
用 going 表達計畫和意圖
- Is Freddy going to buy a new car soon?
- Are John and Pam going to visit Milan when they are in Italy?
- I think Nigel and Mary are going to have a party next week.
- We are going to have dinner together tomorrow.
- Aren't you going to stay at the library until your report is finished?
用 going 表達預測
- He's going to be a brilliant politician.
- I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep.
- You're going to be sorry you said that.
- Is it going to rain this afternoon?
- Aren't they going to come to the party?