當要描述一個不定或不完整的量時，可以在可數和不可數名詞前用 some 和 any。
- I had some rice for lunch.
- He got some books from the library.
- I will have some news next week.
- Philip wants some help with his exams.
- There is some butter in the fridge.
- Did he give you some tea? = 我認為他給了。
- Is there some fruit juice in the fridge? = 我認為有。
- Would you like some help? = 你可能想。
- Will you have some roast beef? = 你可能要。
- Could I have some books, please?
- Why don't you take some apples home with you?
- Would you like some tea?
- Will you have some cake?
- Do you have any friends in London?
- Do they have any children?
- Do you want any groceries from the shop?
- Are there any problems with your work?
any 和 not 也可以同時出現在否定句中，any 可以強調了整句的否定性，讓語氣更絕對。
- She doesn't want any kitchen appliances for Christmas.
- They don't need any help moving to their new house.
- I don't want any cake.
- There isn't any reason to complain.