|if + 過去完成式||現在條件式|
|If this thing had happened||that thing would happen.|
- If I had worked harder at school, I would have a better job now.
- I would have a better job now if I had worked harder at school.
- If we had looked at the map we wouldn't be lost.
- We wouldn't be lost if we had looked at the map.
- If you had caught that plane you would be dead now.
- You would be dead now if you had caught that plane.
- If I had studied I would have my driving license.（但我沒有努力準備，而且現在還沒有駕照）
- I would be a millionaire now if I had taken that job.（但我沒有接下那份工作，現在我也不是百萬富翁）
- If you had spent all your money, you wouldn't buy this jacket.（但你沒有花掉所有的錢，現在你可以買下這件夾克）
- If you had crashed the car, you might be in trouble.
- I could be a millionaire now if I had invested in ABC Plumbing.
- If I had learned to ski, I might be on the slopes right now.
|if + 過去簡單式||完成條件式|
|If this thing happened||that thing would have happened.|
- If I wasn't afraid of spiders, I would have picked it up.
- I would have picked it up if I wasn't afraid of spiders.
- If we didn't trust him we would have sacked him months ago.
- We would have sacked him months ago if we didn't trust him.
- If I wasn't in the middle of another meeting, I would have been happy to help you.
- I would have been happy to help you if I wasn't in the middle of another meeting.
這些混合條件句論及現在的一個不真實的情況，以及該情況在過去可能會有的結果（但只是虛設）。在這些混合條件句，if 子句的時間指的是現在或隨時，而主要子句的時間指的是過去。例如：「If I wasn't afraid of spiders」（ 要是我不怕蜘蛛）與現在事實相反，事實上是「我怕蜘蛛」。而「I would have picked it up」（我早就會撿起它了）也是與過去事實相反，實際上我並沒有撿起來過。
- If she wasn't afraid of flying she wouldn't have travelled by boat.
- I'd have been able to translate the letter if my Italian was better.
- If I was a good cook, I'd have invited them to lunch.
- If the elephant wasn't in love with the mouse, she'd have trodden on him by now.