在回答「How much」和「How many」的問句時，有些量詞必須接可數名詞（如 friends、cups、people），有些則必須接不可數名詞（如 sugar、tea、money），也有幾種不限名詞可不可數。
|a little||no, none, not any||a few|
|a bit of||some||a number of|
|a great deal of||a lot of, lots of||a great number of|
|a large amount of||plenty of||a large number of|
- Would you like some tea and a few cookies?
- I always put a little milk and some carrots in my soup.
- He has several apples. I don't have any fruit at all.
- She has plenty of clothes for the winter.
- I recieved a large amount of feedback from my survey.
much 和 many 的用法
much 和 many 主要用在疑問句和否定句上。在肯定句和否定句上，這些量詞也會和 too 和 so 一起連用。注意：many 這個字可以單獨用在肯定句，但 much 不能。在肯定句中，much 會被 a lot of 或 lots of 取代（這些詞也可取代 many）。
|How much sugar do you have?||How many people came to the concert?|
|There's not much sugar at the store.||Not many people came to the concert.|
|I have too much sugar at home.||There were too many people at the concert.|
|I don't know what to do with so much sugar.||It's a problem when there are so many people.|
|I wish there was not so much sugar here.||There were not so many people last year.|
|There is a lot of sugar in candy.||There are many people who want to come. = There are a lot of people who want to come.|