- This is a hot potato.
- Those are some hot potatoes.
若要強調或加強形容詞的意思，就在形容詞前加上 very 或 really 等副詞來強調它的程度。
- This is a very hot potato
- Those are some really hot potatoes.
- The beautiful girl ignored me.
- The fast red car drove away.
形容詞也可以放在狀態動詞和感官動詞後，像是 to be、to seem、to look 以及 to taste 等。
- Italy is beautiful.
- I don't think she seems nice at all.
- You look tired.
- This meat tastes funny.
- The Princess Royal is visiting Oxford today.
- The President elect made a speech last night.
- He received a court martial the following week.
如 involved、present 和 concerned 等形容詞可以放在其修飾的名詞前或後，但擺放的位置也會影響整體上的意思。
|I want to see the people involved.||我想看到與此事有關聯的人。||It was an involved discussion.||這場討論很縝密。|
|Here is a list of the people present at the meeting.||這是參與會議的名單。||The present situation is not sustainable.||目前的情況持續不了。|
|I need to see the man concerned by this accusation.||我需要看到那位被控告的男人。||A concerned father came to see me today.||今天有位憂心忡忡的父親來找我。|