each 是將群體視為個體，而 every 則是將群體視為一個個的成員。這些分配詞後面只能接可數名詞，而且通常是單數名詞。在多數情況下，兩者都可以互換。
- Each child received a present.
- Every child received a present.
- I gave each plant some water.
- I gave every plant some water.
each 可以接複數名詞和複數代名詞，但中間必須加 of。every 則不能接複數名詞。
- Each of the children received a present.
- I gave each of the plants some water.
- He told each of us our jobs.
- I gave each of them a kiss.
every 可以表達連續的事物，尤其常用於表達時間。each 也有這樣的用法，但較不常見。
- Every morning John goes jogging.
- This magazine is published every week.
- I have my coffee here every day.
- I go visit my mother each week.
- Each Monday, he buys a kilo of apples.