很多動詞都可以接不定式的動詞，本頁上列出的所有動詞，都會在接不定詞時使用帶 to 的不定詞。而標上星號的動詞也可以接 that 子句，如例句所示。而標上兩個星號的動詞，則是在主要動詞的主詞是「it」時，只能接 that 子句。
|fail||guarantee*||happen*||hasten||have (= 必須)||hesitate||hope*|
|promise*||propose||prove (= 原來是)||refuse||resolve*||seek||seem**|
- I hope to see you next week.
- I hope that I'll see you next week.
- He claimed to be an expert.
- He claimed that she was an expert.
- I managed to reach the top of the hill.
- Would you care to swim?
- It appeared that no-one had locked the door.
- He appeared to be lost.
- It seems that she is running late.
- She seems to be running late.
|inspire||instruct*||invite||lead||leave (= 托付)||oblige||order*|
- The professor challenged his students to argue with his theory.
- This law empowers the government to charge higher taxes.
- You can't force me to do something I don't agree with.
- I invited the new student to have dinner with me.
- What inspired you to write this poem?
在 that 子句前沒有名詞的動詞
當特定動詞接的是 that 子句時，縱使不定詞前有名詞，that 子句前都不會有名詞。這種情況用在 command、direct、entreat、implore、order、require、trust 等動詞。
- I trust you to tell the truth.
- I trust that you are telling the truth.
- The general commanded his men to surrender.
- The general commanded that his men surrender.
接在動詞後的 that 子句需要在子句前加名詞，就如不定詞前一樣。如 persuade 和 remind 會有這種情況。
- You can't persuade people to buy small cars.
- You can't persuade people that small cars are better.
- He reminded me to take my notebook to school.
- He reminded me that I would need my notebook.
在 that 子句前有名詞（也可不加）的動詞
最後一組動詞，在接 that 子句時可選擇在子句前加名詞。這種情況用在 instruct、teach、warn 等動詞上。
- She taught her students to appreciate poetry.
- She taught her students that poetry was valuable.
- She taught that poetry was valuable.
- I asked him to show me the book.
- I asked to see the book.
- She helped me to put away the dishes.
- She helped to put away the dishes.
- We expect you to do your best in the exam.
- We expect to do well on our exams.
- Do you want to go to the beach?
- Do you want me to go with you to the beach?
在否定句和疑問句中，只要兩個動詞的主詞相同，不定詞有沒有 to 都可行，不過省略 to 的用法比較普遍。如果兩個動詞的主詞不同，就得加 to。
- I never dared tell him what happened.
- Do you dare tell him?
- Would you dare (to) jump out of a plane?
- I dare you to tell him the truth.
- She dared me to jump off the wall.